The Deer Initiative is a registered charity, and a broad partnership of statutory, voluntary and private interests dedicated to "ensuring the delivery of a sustainable, well-managed wild deer population in England". Partners abide by the principles of The Deer Accord and encourage others to share their commitment and priorities as an integral part of their management of deer.
Principles of The Deer Accord
- A sustainable and balanced population of wild deer
- A humane, responsible and sensitive approach to the management of wild deer
- An experienced and knowledgeable capability in deer management
- An informed public understanding of deer management
- A partnership approach to reducing the adverse environmental and economic impact of wild deer
The Deer Initiative Structure
The Deer Initiative Council comprises representatives from partner organisations and determines policy that is implemented by a small number of staff. Partner organisations provide financial support for the Deer Initiative, the principle sponsors being the Forestry Commission and English Nature.
Please refer to “The Deer Initiative’” website for details of partner organisations and further current information on The Deer Initiatives activities and organisation. www.thedeerinitiative.co.uk